Honolulu travel tips
Information about Honolulu
The capital of the US state of Hawaii is located on the south coast of the island of O'ahu and is a perfect vacation destination.
The best time to travel: climate and festivities
Honolulu has warm temperatures all year round. The water temperature is at least 24 °C throughout the year. Therefore, both summer and winter are tourist peak seasons. The best surfing weather in Hawaii is between November and February.
At the beginning of March the "Honolulu Festival" takes place with free cultural events such as (hula) dance performances and traditional art. In early June the "King Kamehameha-Celebration Floral Parade" takes place, which is a traditional flower parade commemorating the founding of the Kingdom of Hawaii. September sees the "Aloha Festivals", the famous street festivals on the Hawaiian islands. December 7 is Pearl Harbor Memorial Day.
Before your trip. cost of living and other useful information
- Staying at Waikiki Beach after midnight is a criminal offense and will result in a record and mandatory court attendance.
- Rental cars are popular on the island, but traffic is heavy in the city.
- Popular alternatives to the often crowded Waikiki Beach include Ala Moana Park and Hanauma Bay.
- The cost of living in Honolulu is high. Eating out at a restaurant costs about $16 per meal, beer about $6, soft drinks about $1.90 and cigarettes are also expensive. A group surf lesson costs about $75.
From airport to downtown, accommodation and public transport
A shuttle bus runs from the Honolulu airport to the hotels in the Waikiki district for about $15.50. A cab to Waikiki in normal traffic costs about $40-45 plus about $0.50 per piece of luggage, and the trip takes about 15 minutes. The public bus is not recommended for onward travel from the airport due to strict luggage regulations, although it is the cheapest option (about $2.50).
A backpacker hostel costs from about $21/night. Vacation rental bargains are available from about $90/night, and a three-star hotel from about $130.
The local bus network goes to all important points and is highly recommended.
Most frequent connection from Honolulu
Top Flight Routes
- New York - Orlando from $44.30
- Seattle-Tacoma - San Francisco from $80.00
- Atlanta - Orlando from $27.87
- Honolulu - Hilo from $116.20
- Kahului - San Francisco from $317.00
- New York - Atlanta from $98.60
- Tampa - Las Vegas from $152.61
- Orlando - Las Vegas from $140.00
- Atlanta - New Orleans from $211.13
- Washington-DC - Chicago from $218.00
- Austin - New York from $123.68
- Chicago - Phoenix - Sky Harbor from $224.40
- Charlotte - Las Vegas from $199.00