Washington DC travel tips
Useful facts about Washington D.C. and best time to visit
Washington D.C. does not just offer attractions worth seeing as a world metropolis, but is also a worthwhile destination due to its fascinating cultural diversity and interesting history. The period from March to May and from September to November is climatically the most pleasant time to travel. Warm temperatures and relatively little rainfall are characteristic of this period. The National Cherry Blossom Festival, which lasts several weeks, is held from March to April, or the Smithsonian Folklife Festival, a two-week international festival of cultural exchange, which attracts over a million visitors each year, takes place from late June to early July. On Easter Monday, the "White House Easter Egg Roll" with egg hunts, readings and games is held especially for children in front of the White House. The parades, concerts and fireworks to commemorate Independence Day on July 4 are also very popular.
Public transport and accommodations in Washington, D.C.
The cheapest transport option from Washington Dulles International Airport to downtown is by Metrobus 5A for about $7. Alternatively, the "Silver Line" metro line can be used in combination with the express bus for about $8.60, or a cab for between around $60 and $80.
WMATA's public transportation system is very well developed overall with metrorails (subways), buses and streetcars and can be used at a small cost with daily, weekly and rechargeable credit cards ("SmarTrip Card"). In addition, more expensive cabs are available. In the downtown area getting around by foot or by bicycle (use bicycle rental services such as "Capital Bikeshare") is best.
Since hotel and hostels in downtown Washington DC are generally very expensive, it is recommended to stay in the suburbs in Virginia, for example. The costs for overnight stays per person in hostels are priced from approx. 28 $/night and in 3-star hotels will cost from approx. 90 $/night. Vacation rentals can be booked from about $110/night.
Most frequent connection from Washington DC
- Washington DC - Charlotte (84/Week)
- Washington DC - Atlanta (82/Week)
- Washington DC - Los Angeles (79/Week)
- Washington DC - San Francisco (74/Week)
- Washington DC - Detroit (57/Week)
- Washington DC - Toronto (55/Week)
- Washington DC - London (52/Week)
- Washington DC - London Heathrow (52/Week)
- Washington DC - San Salvador (27/Week)
Top Flight Routes
- Los Angeles - New York from $31.58
- Fort Lauderdale - New York from $25.07
- San Diego - Honolulu from $186.00
- Charlotte - New York from $67.00
- New York - Boston from $64.00
- Philadelphia - San Francisco from $142.85
- New York - Honolulu from $356.00
- Orlando - Los Angeles from $112.00
- Chicago - Miami from $117.38
- New York - Fort Myers from $132.02
- New York - Salt Lake City from $330.00
- Fort Lauderdale - San Francisco from $209.34