Airport Tokyo-Narita International Airport
Opened in 1978 Narita International airport is responsible for the majority of international passenger transport to and from Japan. It is also one of the main air traffic hubs between Asia and America. Due to growing passenger numbers the decision was made in 1962 to construct another airport in order to help out Tokyo-Haneda airport. The new airport in the capital city was to take over international air traffic.
Tokyo-Narita is now one of the most expensive airports in the world and there are plans to move international air traffic back to Tokyo-Haneda Airport in 2009. Tokyo-Narita Airport is the second busies airport in Japan and is the international hub of Japan Airlines and All Nippon Airways, and the regional hub of United Airlines.
European destinations are served by the airlines Air France (Paris-Charles de Gaulle), Austrian Airlines (Vienna), Alitalia (Milan-Malpensa, Rome-Fiumicino), British Airways (London-Heathrow), Finnair (Helsinki), KLM Royal Dutch Airlines (Amsterdam), Lufthansa (Frankfurt, Munich), Scandinavian Airlines System (Copenhagen) and Swiss International Air Lines (Zurich).
Other airlines at Narita International include Aeroméxico (Mexico City, Tijuana), Air Canada (Toronto-Pearson, Vancouver), Air Central (Nagoya, Sendai), Air Japan (Honolulu), All Nippon Airways (Fukuoka, Hangzhou, Shenyang, Xiamen), Ibex Airlines (Hiroshima, Sapporo-Chitose), Korean Air (Busan, Los Angeles), MIAT Mongolian Airlines (Seoul-Incheon, Ulanbaatar) and United Airlines (Seattle/Tacoma, Singapur, Washington-Dulles) at terminal 1 and Aeroflot (Moscow Sheremetyevo), Air China (Chengdu, Dalian, Peking, Shanghai-Pudong), Air India (Delhi, Mumbai), American Airlines (Chicago-O’Hare, Dallas/Fort Worth, New York-JFK), Biman Bangladesh Airlines (Bangkok, Dhaka), Garuda Indonesia (Denpasar, Jakarta), Japan Airlines (Osaka-Kansai, Qingdao, São Paulo-Guarulhos), JALways (Kona, Saipan), Malaysia Airlines (Kota Kinabalu, Kuala Lumpur), Philippine Airlines (Cebu, Manila), Qantas (Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney), SriLankan Airlines (Colombo, Male) and Vietnam Airlines (Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City) at Terminal 2.
Air New Zealand (Auckland, Christchurch), Delta Air Lines (Atlanta) and Continental Airlines (Houston-Intercontinental, Newark) moved to Terminal 1 in 2007.
In contrast to the busiest airport, Tokyo-Haneda International Airport, which is near Tokyo and hardly operates international flights, Tokyo-Narita is far from Central Tokyo and even located in another prefecture. Even using the fastest train, it takes an hour to reach Tokyo-Narita and those going by car will often have to wait in traffic jams.
Residents and businessmen from West Tokyo and the Kanagawa prefecture are much closer to Haneda Airport. There are plans to open the Narita Rapid Railway in 2010 and this will partly solve the problem making the journey time 20 minutes shorter.
Narita airport is already accessible using the Narita Express and Skyliner trains from Tokyo. Narita Express is one of the fastest rail links between city and airport.
Skyliner trains from Keisei Railway also need only 51 minutes to Nippori Station and 56 minutes to Keisei Ueno Station. This link from Narita Airport to Nippori is therefore the fastest way of getting from the airport to Central Tokyo.
In the late 80s, the railway companies JR and Keisei Electric Railway had to provide links to Narita Airport. Both terminals therefore now have underground stations thereby allowing for a direct link to the airport. Higashi-Narita Station formerly Narita Airport Station is at terminal 1 and the Airport Terminal 2 Station at terminal 2. This is why it is important to be aware of the terminal and the railway company. The two terminals are only linked by shuttle buses.
Transfer to Haneda Airport is by limousine or trains operated by Airport Limited Express. Keisei also operates a transfer service from Narita Airport to Haneda Airport and cooperates with Toei Asakusa Line and Keihin Kyuko Railway. Buses and taxis are widely available at both terminals. Local buses serve regional locations from the airport, however, these are often much sower.
The main way of reaching Narita airport is by Higashi-Kanto Expressway, which connects with the Shuto Expressway at Funabashi in Chiba.
cheap direct flights from Tokyo-Narita International Airport
cheap direct flights to Tokyo-Narita International Airport
- URL: Tokyo-Narita International Airport (NRT)
- Time zone: GMT 9
- Service telephone: +81 476-34-8000 (Airport Information, available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year)
- Address: Tokyo - Narita Airport, Airport Administration Building, Narita City 282-8601, Chiba PREF, Japan
- Operating company: Narita International Airport Corporation (NAA)
- Parking: yes; paid short and long term parking, both terminals have their own multi storey car park.
- Nearby cities: Narita (7 km), Sakura (15 km), Chiba (30 km), Narashino (33 km), Abiko (35 km), Funabashi (37 km), Kashiwa (39 km), Ichihara (39 km), Ichikawa (42 km), Matsudo (44 km)
- Directions by car: Higashi Kanto Expressway, Shin-Kuko Expressway; Route 295; Route 296, Yokaichiba - Sakura Road or Narita - Matsuo Road.
- Stations: Higashi-Narita Station (formerly Narita Airport Station in Terminal 1) and the Airport Terminal 2 Station (in Terminal 2): Narita Express to Tokyo Station, Skyliner.
- Flight distribution on the days of the week: , Monday (14.29%), Tuesday (13.73%)Wednesday (14.18%), Thursday (13.93%), Friday (14.41%), Saturday (14.67%), Sunday (14.80%)
- Alternative spelling: Tokyo-Narita, Tokyo, Tokjo, Токіа, Tòquio, Tōkyō, Tokijas, Tóquiu, Tóiceo, Токіё, Токио, Токіо, Τόκιο, טוקיו, טאקיא, توکیو, طوكيو, ٹوکیو, Տոկիո, Տոկիոյի, टोक्यो, টোকিও, டோக்கியோ, ཐོ་ཁེ་ཡོ།, ടോക്കിയോ, ტოკიო, ቶክዮ, โตเกียว, 도쿄, 東京, 东京, 東京都
Most popular destinations from Tokyo-Narita International Airport (Flights per week )
- Tokyo-Haneda International Airport (145 , 4.35 %)
- Taiwan-Taoyuan (136 , 4.08 %)
- Sapporo-Shin-Chitose Airport (124 , 3.72 %)
- Hong Kong International Airport (116 , 3.48 %)
- Seoul-Incheon International Airport (110 , 3.30 %)
- Fukuoka (103 , 3.09 %)
- Osaka-Kansai International Airport (103 , 3.09 %)
- Shanghai Pudong International Airport (101 , 3.03 %)
- Nagoya - Centrair (84 , 2.52 %)
- Honolulu International Airport, HI (76 , 2.28 %)
- other (67.06 %)
Top airlines (percentage of departures and arrivals)
- ANA All Nippon Airways (2469, 15.80 %)
- Japan Airlines (1958, 12.53 %)
- United Airlines (927, 5.93 %)
- American Airlines (798, 5.11 %)
- Jetstar Japan (588, 3.76 %)
- Qantas Airways (556, 3.56 %)
- Delta Air Lines (472, 3.02 %)
- Asiana Airlines (464, 2.97 %)
- Air China (424, 2.71 %)
- Air Canada (412, 2.64 %)
- other (41.97 %)
Furthest destinations without having to change Mexico City-Juarez International (11266 km, Korean Air) , Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, GA (11015 km, Vietnam Airlines) , Washington-DC (10881 km, American Airlines) , Washington DC - Dulles International Airport, DC (10856 km, Singapore Airlines) , New York - John F. Kennedy International Airport, NY (10843 km, Singapore Airlines) , New York (JFK, EWR, LGA) (10823 km, ANA All Nippon Airways) , New York - Newark Liberty International Airport, NJ (10822 km, ANA All Nippon Airways) , Boston Logan International Airport, MA (10773 km, American Airlines) , Houston - George Bush Intercontinental Airport, TX (10681 km, ANA All Nippon Airways)
Closest destinations with direct flight Sendai (269 km, Air New Zealand) , Nagoya - Centrair (341 km, Asiana Airlines) , Komatsu (365 km, Austrian Airlines) , Osaka (463 km, Air France) , Osaka-Itami International Airport (463 km, Air France) , Osaka-Kansai International Airport (491 km, Asiana Airlines) , Hiroshima (696 km, Spring Airlines Japan) , Sapporo-Shin-Chitose Airport (788 km, Qantas Airways) , Fukuoka (941 km, Asiana Airlines) , Busan - Gimhae (1039 km, Finnair)
Departures Tokyo-Narita International Airport (NRT) , Departures flight plan for Wednesday, October 7, 2015*
Arrivals Tokyo-Narita International Airport (NRT) , Arrivals flight plan for Wednesday, October 7, 2015*
Weather forecast for Tokyo
Statistical weather data for Tokyo-Narita International Airport
Weatherticker for nearby Airports
In Tokyo: sunny with temperatures of 55.2 °F to 68 °F. In Tokyo: sunny with temperatures of 56.8 °F to 67.8 °F. In Niigata: sunny with occasional showers minimum 56.7 °F and maximum 65.7 °F. In Sendai: sunny with occasional showers, minimum temperatures 52.2 °F and maximum temperatures 61.7 °F. In Fukushima: sunny with occasional showers, minimum temperatures 42.4 °F and maximum temperatures 57.9 °F. In Yamagata Junmachi: sunny with temperatures of 37.9 °F to 58.5 °F. In Matsumoto: sunny with temperatures of 39.2 °F to 61 °F. In Miyake Jima: sunny with occasional showers minimum 64.6 °F and maximum 66.9 °F.